Volunteer Host Families Needed in VT

I am a Regional Director working for CIEE, a non-profit agency that coordinates foreign exchange students and I am looking for a little help.  We are one of the agencies that the State Department has designated to supervise students when they come into the country. Our mission is to help people gain understanding, acquire knowledge, and develop skills for living in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world.

I am writing today because we have a few students we would like to bring to the area for the 2019-20 school year and we are in need of host families. I am writing to some university staff in your community today because I thought this would be a good place to start. You do not have to live in any particular town to host, nor do you have to have a high school student at home. We accept all kinds of families – kids, no kids, empty nesters, single parents, and so on. The main requirement is kindness and a willingness to learn about a foreign culture. Families who welcome a student will not only gain a new member, but will also learn about the world, its many values, traditions, languages, food, and more.

Our students have the appropriate visa, medical insurance and pay for all their own expenses, with the exception of food and utilities. A family may act as a welcome family and bring the student into your community for a part of their experience as well.

Please let me know if you would like to talk more about this, or start a host family application online at https://beacon.ciee.org/signupsignin .

If you are not in the position right now, we would greatly appreciate your help in forwarding this along to friends and family or any other networks you might have.

Thank you for your time!

16 year old girl from Spain: **Allergy to mites, pollen, and dog’s hair** “ I’m a really creative person, who loves trying new things and to improvise. Laughing in the face of adversity, I’m always trying my best, with a smile on the face and a lot of energy. Although it seems that I’m a non-stop person, I take my time to think and reflect in my own world, being peaceful and assertive to other people’s provocations. My vocation it’s art, and all their variants. Everything that has to do with creating, like drawing, playing music, photography, writing, audiovisual… That’s why I want to study art in the future. I also play Volleyball, do crochet and read a lot. I had never gone to an exchange program, and I’m so excited with the new experiences that are waiting for me!”

16 year old girl from Thailand: “My name is Pornchanok. I am 16 years old. I am the youngest child. I live with mother but my father work in different city. I study in grade 11 in Mathematics-Science program. I am interested in Arts and Photography. My hobbies are drawing and read books. I would like to be a doctor. I like community voluntary works. The reasons why I decided to apply exchange program I want to find new experiences, learn American culture and improve my English skills. These will be useful for my living, attitude and deciding in the future. I am not talkative person but my friend told me that I am weird in a good way. I always think outside the box. I spend most of time in school. So that I get close to my friend. If I have problem or new crazy ideas, I will share with them. They told me that I always have different aspect and creative.”

16 year old boy from Brazil: “My name is Arthur,I fifteen years old and I am at eleventh grade at high school. I live with my grandparents and my mom in a big city in Brazil. Twice a week I have soccer and swim practice after school. When I get back home I study and make my homework and when I have free time I play soccer, Video Games and watch TV. I am very talktive I think that comunication is very important because you always have something to learn from other people. I´m a funny person and I´m always in good mood , making jokes, and singing. I would like to be professional soccer player and also study Medicine or Mechatronics Engineering . I can eat all kind of foods and I love pizza, hamburguers, ice cream, chocolats even eating all of this I am a healthy teenager.”

Kind regards,
Jordan

JORDAN DOHERTY // CIEE
Regional Director, ME NH VT & Greater Boston
High School Exchange USA
──────────────────────────
300 Fore Street, Portland, ME 04101
email jdoherty@ciee.org|
tel +1.207.553.4128   web http://www.ciee.org/highschool/

About CIEE: Founded in 1947, CIEE is a non-profit organization with a mission to help people gain understanding, acquire knowledge and develop skills for living in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world. With over 65 years of experience, CIEE is the largest and longest running sponsor of exchange programs in the U.S. Visit www.ciee.org/highschool to learn more.