For the first time ever, we’re asking you NOT to take to the streets– the most radical thing we can do to act in solidarity with one another right now is to #StayHome. But we still have big plans!
Our need to build resilience is clearer than ever. Our need to resist the fossil fuel industry has only become greater. Join us in April for three days of climate justice action you can take part in wherever you are:
4/22: Celebrate the Earth
Join millions of people worldwide — virtually — to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Earth Day as part of the Earth Day Strikes. We’re asking climate activists around Vermont to send us a video or a photo with a caption, telling us about the places you love and what it will take to protect them! Please email video or photos to firstname.lastname@example.org before April 21!
Join us for a webinar about the important role Vermont’s forests play in environmental and climate justice here in Vermont and around the world!
We’re telling Vermont Gas: “Your pipeline goes here and no further!” Join us for an evening of stories around the virtual fire, featuring: local pipeline resistance, indigenous stories from Abenaki land we inhabit, activists from the #NoCoalNoGas campaign, and student organizers from the Divest movement at Middlebury College!
More Actions on the Way!
Our Brattleboro, Manchester, and Burlington Nodes are cooking up something special for the 22nd and 24th– stay tuned for updates on 350VT’s Facebook and Earth Week webpage. Want to get involved? See the “Happenings” section below!
Our commitment to a livable future also means a commitment to each other; so many people are engaging in incredible networks of mutual aid and solidarity! Please do what you can!
COVID-19 has forced many to grapple with inadequate food systems. We are seeing the inhumanity of the fossil fuel industry deepening. The movement we’ve been building must come “together” like never before. Stay tuned for more calls to action!
See you online,
Julie, Lily, Abby, Jaiel, and Sonia
350VT Online Happenings
- Mother Up! Montpelier Meet-Up ~ Open to All Families, Wednesday, April 1st, 5 – 6 pm. Join via Zoom. Check-in with other families, share gratitude, discuss ways to best support each other virtually during this challenging time, chat about Earth Day+50, read a children’s story about climate change, and end with a song.
- 350 Brattleboro Local Group Meeting, Wednesday, April 1st, 6 – 8 pm. Join via Zoom. Despite restrictions about in-person gatherings, we want to honor the 50th anniversary of Earth Day! Help us plan what this looks like in terms of making (art/stories), being (reconnecting with place, meditation), and gathering (online discussion/training).
- Writing for Climate Justice Group, Monday, April 6th, 7 – 8:30 pm. Interested in joining? Send an email to email@example.com.
- 350 Burlington Action Night, Tuesday, April 7th, 6 – 8 pm. Join via Zoom to plan more Earth Week +50 actions and get involved in local organizing! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
- Mutual Aid (Ongoing): Get involved through this consolidated list from the Peace & Justice Center!
- The government is pulling some tricks behind the curtain of our fear. Reducing EPA rules to allow more pollution by big corporations, and now this. The Mashpee Wampanoag tribe has been on their land for 12,000 years and are the people who welcomed the pilgrims at the onset of colonization. Now the Secretary of the Interior wants to claim their land? No! Sign this petition, contact your senators, and spread the word.
- Online Trainings with 350NH: Online Organizing Tools 101 – Monday, 4/6, 4PM & Tuesday, 4/14, 6PM. Letter to the Editor Writing Party – Wednesday, 4/8, 4PM & Tuesday, 4/28, 6PM. Staying Positive in the Time of COVID-19 – Thursday, 4/16 Time TBD. Messaging: Talking COVID-19 and Climate – Monday, 4/13, 4PM & Monday, 4/27, 6PM. New Political Landscape: COVID-19 and the Green New Deal – Monday, 4/20, 4PM & Thursday, 4/30, 6PM. Sign up for one or more in this Online Training Series here.
- The Earth Day Strike With Us Coalition is organizing 72 hours of international online events. Learn more by going to https://strikewithus.org/.
- When we decided to hire an office manager, we had no idea that we’d have to close the office during her first week. In this time of such uncertainty and hardship, we’re grateful that things were already in motion for us to be able to bring on a new team member, and we’re grateful to Sophia Bielenberg for rolling with these challenging circumstances!
- Everyone who has attended our online events! This includes the fifteen families who joined last week’s Mother Up! Meet-up – especially Jana Zeller who presented her “Climate Crankie” – and all of the node leaders who participated in our Online Facilitation Webinar. We’re so grateful for all of the work folks are doing to pivot organizing work to online platforms – we know it’s not easy!
- We’re immensely grateful to everyone offering mutual aid, everyone making & distributing masks, and all the people who are feeling empowered to both help and ask for help in these intense times.
Here’s some of what’s helping us through this moment! How to Beat Coronavirus Capitalism with Naomi Klein, Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor, and Astra Taylor; adrienne maree brown’s blog; Finding Steady Ground; The Coronation by Charles Eisenstein; music, especially MaMuse.
350Vermont organizes, educates, and supports people in Vermont to work together for climate justice — resisting fossil fuels, building momentum for alternatives, and transforming our communities toward justice and resilience. Join us.
179 S. Winooski Ave, #201, Burlington, VT 05401