Better World Books Awards $125,000USD
in 2018 Literacy Grants
In March, Better World Books announced the application period for their eighth Annual Literacy Grants designed to address the literacy needs of communities across the world. Applicants could qualify for a grant of up to £10,000 (UK and Europe) and $15,000 (North America) to support their efforts to further literacy in their communities.
Better World Books received a record-breaking 400 applications this year and are pleased to announce that over $125,000 in Literacy Grants have been awarded to support the following projects:
- Money for Madagascar
- Project Location: Madagascar
- Grant: £10,000
- Sharing Stories – Lancashire County Council Libraries
- Project Location: Lancashire County, United Kingdom
- Grant: £10,000
- Aussie Books for Zim
- Project Location: Zimbabwe
- Need2Read Program
- Project Location: New Jersey, USA
- Grant: $13,048.78
- Rwanda PREFER Society
- Project Location: Rwanda
- Grant: $12,150
- Seedlings Braille Books for Children
- Project Location: Detroit, Michigan, USA
- Grant: $5,000
- The Literacy Garden – Riley Orton Foundation
- Project Location:Kisumu, Kenya
- Grant: $13,513
- Litworld International, INC
- Projection Location: Roldanillo, Colombia
- Grant: $15,000
- King County Library System Foundation
- Project Location: King County, Washington, USA
- Grant: $15,000
- Books for Africa
- Project Location: Bangui, Central African Republic
- Grant: $15,000 + donated books
To learn more about Better World Books Literacy Grants, click here
|The Ohio Valley Group of Technical Services Librarians Tour |
The Ohio Valley Group of Technical Services Librarians (OVGTSL) annual spring conference was hosted by University of Notre Dame Hesburgh Libraries and featured a tour of Better World Books. Librarians from Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky joined the Better World Books Team for a luncheon and tour of our Global Headquarters & Distribution Center. Participants were able to witness every step of a book’s journey from receiving to shipping. Here’s what some of our guests had to say:
“This was so fascinating! We use Better World Books at our library and I was so interested to see everything that goes into it.”
“Very informative! My library is already a customer of Better World Books, and it was useful to have such a fact-filled tour and learn so much about their work.“
“I almost didn’t go to this but am so glad that I did. I learned a lot about Better World Books and have started the process to donate our books to them. Personally, I will also start looking to buy from them. Enjoyed this very much!“
Thank you to all of those who spent the afternoon with us!
September 5th – 7th, 2018
Urban Library Council (ULC) Annual Forum
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
October 10th – 12th, 2018
Frankfurt Book Fair
November 5th – 9th, 2018
Charleston Library Conference
Charleston, North Carolina, USA
December 6th – 7th, 2018
Library Journal Directors’ Summit
San Diego, California, USA
January 25th -29th, 2019
|Client Service Bulletin: Client Portal Update|
This update allies to all Client Portal users worldwide.
|Logistics Bulletin: Scheduling UPS Pick Ups via the Client Portal|
This update applies to all Clients that use the Client Portal to schedule UPS pickups within North America.
Scheduling a UPS pickup in North America through the Client Portal is only necessary if your facility does not have routine UPS service. Better World Books incurs a surcharge for every UPS pickup scheduled via the Client Portal and thousands of UPS shipments are scheduled through the Client Portal each month. Thank you for helping us minimize unnecessary freight expenditures when possible. Read more about this
|Better World Books Announces Global Website|
This shopping experience now offers more options than ever for our customers. Today you can browse a combined inventory of 8 million used books from all four of Better World Books processing facilities including over 3 million new book and marketplace options. Read more about the website changes here
The improvements don’t stop there! We’ve also revamped our About Us
|Better World Books Sponsors Books for Africa Shipment to Central African Republic|
On June 9th, Books for Africa celebrated a sea container shipment to the Central African Republic. This container of 22,000 books, sponsored by the Better World Books General Literacy Fund via a grant, marks Books for Africa reaching their long-standing goal of shipping to all 54 countries in Africa!
Our team has been hard at work over the last year donating over 2.1 million books globally. This is in addition to our book bus, Wordsworth, having visited over 25 local schools, parades, fairs, learning events, fundraisers and more! To further accommodate the large number of donation requests we receive, we’ve welcomed Donna Andrews to the Donations Team! Read more about how Donna’s background in education helps our team flourish.
Packing the Perfect Carton
This applies to all shippers.
- Use boxes of uniform size, preferably ones measuring 18″ x 12″ x 10″.
- Lay books flat with the spine out and fill the box to the top with two columns.
- You can put books in vertically to fill gaps, but never place a hardcover book with its’ binding facing upward.
- Stack books flush all the way to the top. Otherwise, the box will become damaged when stacked.
This applies to all loose carton shippers.
- Please make sure that labels are applied to the side of loose carton shipments and not the top or bottom of the carton.
This applies to all shippers.
- Make sure Pop Up Blockers are turned off prior to requesting labels.
- Always confirm your labels printed before navigating away from the generation page.
- In North America, freight labels are emailed to you each time you generate them. Always check your Spam folder if you cannot find your labels.
Stacking the Perfect Pallet
This applies to all freight shippers.
- Offset each layer of boxes. Stacking directly on top of, and in line with, one another leads to boxes toppling over. Instead, alternate layers while stacking.
- Stack your pallet 5 layers high, using a standard 48″ x 40″ pallet.
- Use plenty of shrink wrap to secure your pallets.
© 2018 Better World Books