Join us for the 7th Annual Day in the Dirt!
On Saturday, April 27th, 2019, hundreds of volunteers will join forces to raise funds for VCGN and lend a hand in a shared garden at a school, neighborhood, housing facility, hospital, workplace, library or childcare center – working together to build a happier, healthier Vermont!
Day in the Dirt is a fun spring event where families, friends, employee teams and community members raise funds and spend a few hours helping prepare community gardens throughout Vermont for the season. Participants come together to spread compost, build beds, repair fences or other activities to get these gardens ready for spring. They help sustain this important work throughout the year by raising funds for VCGN’s programs, which include technical assistance, training & education, networking and resources for gardeners of all ages.
(You can join an existing team at a garden site or create your own)
Sponsorship Opportunities: Learn how you can support this unique event and get recognition across the state by becoming a Day in the Dirt sponsor. Click here for details on sponsorship levels.
Utilize the enthusiasm and many hands of volunteers to accomplish projects and other garden prep to get your garden ready for the season. Any shared growing spaces are welcome, such as allotment and communally-managed gardens, school gardens, workplace gardens, community farms, library gardens, gardens at affordable housing site, early child care centers and more. Examples of past Day in the Dirt volunteer tasks include:
- building raised beds, a garden shed or fence
- hauling compost and wood chips for re-establishing garden beds and pathways
- painting garden signs, organizing tools, clearing debris
It’s also a great way to draw people into your garden so they can learn more about what you do and how to get involved. Adding a potluck, music, or other fun event to the day will help you thank volunteers and welcome the new season!
How it works
- Fill out our online form with basic details about your Day in the Dirt event.
- Be contacted by VCGN staff with a link to set up your event on our online portal.
- Register ($10) and create your team page on our online event portal.
- Help get volunteers for your event by sharing our online registration link.
- Prepare for your event and attend our Site Leader Orientation webinar on 4/17.
- Be in touch with VCGN regarding any changes or questions about the event.
- Have an excellent Day in the Dirt–get a lot of work done and have fun!
- Follow-up with us on how it went and share pictures!
As a Day in the Dirt site, you are responsible for planning your project, supporting volunteer recruitment, and managing volunteers at your event. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or planning support needed.
Questions? Contact Michelle at email@example.com or call us at (802) 861-4769.