The Composting Association of Vermont (CAV) is seeking a part-time Director to replace our current Director who is retiring after nine years of service.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Director has overall strategic and operational responsibility for CAV programs and execution of the organization’s mission. Specific responsibilities include:
Administration and Program Management:
- Ensure ongoing coordination and program oversight of CAV led projects. Manage budgets, timelines and deliverables.
- Perform qualitative and quantitative data collection, and program evaluation to ensure program effectiveness.
- Recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve CAV strategic goals.
- Oversee all aspects of co-hosting and planning the annual Vermont Organics Recycling Summit (VORS) with ANR/DEC.
- Maintain database listing of CAV members and membership renewals.
- Initiate and provide support for all Board activities including meeting and agenda preparation, documenting Board actions and scheduling and coordinating an annual membership meeting.
- Develop and implement procedures and policies that ensure compliance with state and federal regulations governing 501(c)(3) status.
- Oversee and manage the work of independent contractors as needed, which include a bookkeeper and an event coordinator for annual VORS conference.
Planning and Fundraising
- Identify potential donors and partners, and pursue sources of funds to help advance CAV’s mission
- Maintain strong relationships and accountability with current and potential foundation funders.
- Maintain strong relationships with membership, Solid Waste Management Entities and individuals.
- Research additional foundations for compatibility with CAV’s mission and potential funding.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for CAV and actively promote its mission to the greater community.
- Prepare reports and presentations.
- Conduct outreach to and communicate directly with media, stakeholder groups, donors and government officials.
- Serve on statewide committees that have an impact on CAV activities and its mission.
- Strengthen and refine all aspects of CAV’s communication such as website, social media, and traditional media outlets.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter committed to advancing CAV’s mission, with a demonstrated inclusive management style requiring minimal Board oversight. The selection committee seeks a candidate with the following experience and skills:
- Ability to work independently and on own initiative with minimal Board oversight
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in organization management to include project development, project management, staffing, budgeting, and non-profit board development
- Grant writing
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Demonstrated capability in consensus building, group facilitation, and organizing within coalitions, networks, and with diverse stakeholders
- Basic computer literacy such as MS Word, Excel, and similar programs
- Willingness/ability to travel periodically for meetings/events around Vermont
- Event management
- Familiarity with WordPress for website maintenance
- Public relations
- Familiarity with Vermont’s legislative process
- Experience with membership management
- State level policy development
- Prior knowledge and experience in some of the areas/issues that intersect with CAV’s mission. For example: Organics recycling including food rescue, food scraps and residuals to livestock, composting, anaerobic digestion, and thermal heat recovery from composting process; State level policy development; Vermont’s “Farm to Plate” Network; Water quality issues; Storm water management issues; Soil properties and function; Agriculture or Forest products sector; Regional or municipal planning.
For additional details, compensation package and application instructions, please visit the CAV website: https://compostingvermont.org/jobs/director/
For additional information