Sustainable Alumni @Champlain

**Reposted from Champlain College Alumni Relations February Newsletter**

In my work as Sustainability Director at Champlain College, I regularly reach out to partners within the community to help further our work of becoming a more sustainable institution.  In the past couple of years, those neighboring organizations have included Burlington Electric Department, City Market, and the University of Vermont Transportation & Parking Services, to talk about things such as energy efficiency improvements, tours for student Eco-Reps, or potential shared transportation projects. Besides the common thread of working in the environmental sustainability field, one other commonality came forward: my contacts at these organizations are all Champlain College alumni.

This realization made me want to dig further and find out more about these individuals, as well as our home institution – which did not even have an environmentally-based academic program until 2010.  I recently spoke with some of these folks who are making a difference in their chosen path and posed a few questions – I hope you enjoy their answers – Christina Erickson, PhD, Sustainability Director

Ravi Parikh

photo from https://www.burlingtonelectric.com/about-us/who-we-are/our-energy-services-team

Name: Ravi Parikh
Current job title: Energy Services Specialist
Organization: Burlington Electric Department
Degree and Graduation Year: BS in Business Administration, 2004
Major/Field of Study: Business

Briefly describe what you do in your current role: My work has me engaged with commercial accounts within the city of Burlington. My focus is to work with commercial customers to help identify opportunities for energy efficiency, including lighting, HVAC, refrigeration, plug loads, et al.

How did you become interested in this line of work? My first job was directly connected with energy efficient products, and I quickly understood the value of promoting such technology – energy savings, environmental values, etc.

What can you say about Champlain and any influence it had on you in your work in the environmental sustainability field? Dr. Don Haggerty played a huge role in helping shape my career, while I was at Champlain. His classes (I took two) and his guidance led me to conduct a senior project on solar energy. During the project, I realized the multitude of businesses throughout the country who were capitalizing on sustainability such as solar, wind, and energy efficiency. Sustainability was not just a gimmick, it was a sound practice that shaped (and continues to shape) many successful business models. It was Dr. Haggerty’s encouragement that helped me realize the potential with sustainability, and I am thankful for that.

Looking at Champlain College now, what stands out to you the most? The growth of the College is impressive – not only in size/facilities, but the growth of academic programs. Champlain is quickly becoming a recognized institution in media, business, studying abroad. It is exciting to see the College continue to grow and mature.

Any hopes/dreams/wishes for Champlain as it moves toward being a more sustainable institution? A degree is sustainability would nice to see. With so many new facilities being built, it would be nice to see the College look at the potential for net-zero buildings.

jim barr

photo from https://www.uvm.edu/trc/vermont-clean-cities-coalition-news/

Name: Jim Barr
Current job title: Executive Director of Transportation and Parking Services
Organization: University of Vermont
Degree and Graduation Year: AS from Champlain College/1981 and BA from University of Vermont/1983
Major/Field of Study: History

Briefly describe what you do in your current role: Manage all parking resources, university transportation shuttle fleet, campus active transportation resources and select construction projects and community collaboration.

How did you become interested in this line of work? Traveling and observing improvements primarily in transportation technology and venues, but also in parking innovations as well, from my previous career in the military.  Was able to travel to several continents and cultures to experience how they faced challenges and adapted.

What can you say about Champlain and any influence it had on you in your work in the environmental sustainability field?  The challenges Champlain faces with limited space yet still providing the services to a level of support beyond expectations in parking and transportation through campus and around the community is very motivating.  Very important to note how successful Champlain has been in repurposing the stately houses and buildings within campus boundaries to keep the “Hill Section” of Burlington historic and beautiful.

Looking at Champlain College now, what stands out to you the most? Ease of mobility across the academic portions of campus with options for getting around off campus as well (in my day we walked everywhere, and biked some of the time).

Brent

photo by LYNN MONTY, Free Press; https://archive.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20120322/BUSINESS08/120321023/Vermont-businesses-harness-solar-power-promote-sustainability-cost-cutting

Name: Brent Demers
Current job title: Facilities Manager
Organization: City Market
Degree and Graduation Year: Bachelor’s 2004
Major/Field of Study: Marketing Management

Briefly describe what you do in your current role: As the Facilities manager I am responsible for maintenance, transportation and delivery, waste resource management, Janitorial, Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC, and Refrigeration. In addition to the physical plant I work closely with Burlington Electric Department to execute ongoing energy efficiency initiatives. I also handle any improvements or renovations which requires managing multiple projects at a time.

How did you become interested in this line of work? I have worked in grocery stores since I was legally able to work. Over the years I have come up with innovative systems to make tedious and challenging tasks more efficient and organized. I have always been interested in the design of equipment used and have had the opportunity to design and build equipment such as custom stocking carts and custom registers. Having worked at City Market for many years prior to jumping into the facilities position gave me experience with the building that made the transition easy. Keeping interested in the position has been the sustainability projects I have been given the opportunity to manage such as the 136 solar panel installation, lighting retrofits, and many others.

What can you say about Champlain and any influence it had on you in your work in the environmental sustainability field? During my time at Champlain my focus was not geared towards sustainability like it is now. Sustainability positions over the last 5 years have really popped up and it seems just as recent for colleges and universities to have it as a field of study. I remember connecting with Christina Erickson for the first time and being fascinated that Champlain now has a full time Sustainability Director with a team of student Eco-Reps. I was given the opportunity to share some of my experiences with some of them and hear why they are so interested in the field of study. Just hearing this next generation of sustainability advocates talk about what interests them and how they want to play a role in protecting their environment is influence enough. It is motivating in itself knowing that there will be a group of sustainability specialists coming straight out of Champlain year after year to accomplish sustainable practices wherever they end up.

Looking at Champlain College now, what stands out to you the most? Champlain has come a long way since I graduated and having been in my position as long as I have I critique just about every building, especially grocery stores, wherever I go. I am pleased with the amount of thought and investment that the new buildings show. I have visited the green roof at Perry hall along with a tour of the LEED certified building. I have also worked with a company called Leading Edge Design group on many LED lighting retrofits to find out Champlain College utilizes their services as well. So what stands out to me the most is the direction Champlain has taken to create a well thought out Sustainability Action Plan and do their best to follow its goals.

Name: Lauren Swanson lauren
Current job title: Owner/ President
Organization: LaurSwan Social Solutions
Degree and Graduation Year: Bachelors of Science in Public Relations, 2012
Major/Field of Study: Public Relations

Briefly describe what you do in your current role: I own my own business managing digital marketing efforts for small – medium sized organizations in the Rocky Mountains. My clients range from higher education to the restaurant industry, jewelry shops and everything in between.

How did you become interested in this line of work? My internships while attending Champlain: Social Media Manager (Conservation Department) for ECHO Lake Aquarium & Science Center and Public Relations intern for Phish, Inc.

What can you say about Champlain and any influence it had on you in your work in the environmental sustainability field? My involvement with Sustain Champlain and the Environmental Club showed the power behind social media to spread and spark positive social change. As the Social Media Coordinator for Colorado Mountain College – Leadville, I do my best to focus on spreading positive messages of the campus and whenever possible highlight all sustainability efforts, such as the “Windows into a Week’s Worth of Waste at the Timberline Campus”the zero waste events and the Tablet Initiative that has been made possible by the CMC Leadville Green Team, our campus’ answer to Sustain Champlain. Sustainability in higher education is absolutely crucial and I am ecstatic to be spreading that message along.

Looking at Champlain College now, what stands out to you the most? Although I live in Breckenridge, Colorado, I was recently in Burlington visiting friends and family. Champlain’s campus expansion project was mind blowing and I have no doubt that Sustain Champlain has made sure the expansion of Champlain College has been as environmentally sound as possible.

Any hopes/dreams/wishes for Champlain as it moves toward being a more sustainable institution? I hope to see Champlain College dining services offer a menu using as many local ingredients as possible.

justine

photo from https://twitter.com/justine_riegel

Name: Justine Riegel
Current job title: Marketing Director
Organization: Green Mountain Digital / Yonder
Degree and Graduation Year: Bachelor of Science 2010
Major/Field of Study: Public Relations & Marketing

Briefly describe what you do in your current role: I am responsible for all of our Marketing and PR initiatives, including everything from social media, email marketing, PR, partnerships and branding.

How did you become interested in this line of work? I have always had an interest in the outdoors and an opportunity came up to work for a startup that made apps for the people who enjoy the outdoors. It was a perfect fit!

What can you say about Champlain and any influence it had on you in your work in the environmental sustainability field? I was always interested in what I could do around sustainability such as recycling, conserving electricity, etc. Sustain Champlain really gave me an opportunity to do this on a larger scale. It helped me see the impact I could have. Everything I’ve learned about conservation and sustainability I’ve been able to bring that knowledge to my current job.

Looking at Champlain College now, what stands out to you the most? All of the LEED-certified buildings and the recognition Champlain has received for it sustainability efforts.

Any hopes/dreams/wishes for Champlain as it moves toward being a more sustainable institution? To continue the Sustain Champlain program and help educate students and faculty about what the college is doing and what they can do on their own.

So who else is out there?? Champlain College adheres to a broad definition of sustainability – essentially anyone who does something to improve quality of life of people and/or planet – social work, social justice, equity, etc. We’d love to hear about how you are making a difference out in the world. Please share your stories!

About Sustain Champlain

Sustain Champlain is a campus-wide initiative that strives to infuse sustainability concepts and practices across Champlain College by coordinating and promoting best practices within four areas: our institution, academics, operations and culture.

Defining Sustainability at Champlain College

Champlain views sustainability in an inclusive way, encompassing human and ecological health, social justice, secure livelihoods, and a better world for all generations, as defined by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE). At Champlain College, sustainability is a central value and we strive to infuse it throughout our other core values of distinctive excellence, innovation, human touch, global engagement, diversity and inclusion

Sustainability Value Statement

Champlain College will be a sustainable institution, in our operational practices, our campus culture, our curriculum and in our relationships with our greater community. It is our belief that as we support students to be 21st century global citizens, they need to be well informed about sustainability concepts and practices as it relates to their field and profession. Further, we must create a campus where fully engaging in these concepts and practices is a part of life for our whole community. Additionally, we will be a model for other institutions and communities as we create an example of positive impact on the planet and its inhabitants. Because sustainability is a holistic and interdependent concept, our application of sustainability on campus and within our institution will demonstrate this and be infused into all that we do.

Through various educational mediums, we spread sustainability awareness through the campus. Everyone has a role to play as we work together to create a sustainable institution and campus. Our Sustainability Action Plan, adopted in 2013, is our roadmap of actions for the coming years.